Commissioners
Fire Commissioners Information

2018 District Report
Highlights of 2018 Operations

Station Needs Assessment
Station Facilities Description

OCFD6 Newsletter
Current Events in the District

Volunteer With Us
Serve Your Community

Betti Foundation Grant
OCFD6 Awarded $1.8M Grant

Grant Award Letter

New Station Floor Plan

 

 
Live Fire Training

 

 


Okanogan County Fire District 6 (OCFD6) is a professional organization of volunteer and career firefighters that provides fire, rescue, and emergency response services throughout the Methow Valley in Washington State.

 
  Breaking News

 
It’s Chimney Fire Season
 
Have you ever had a neighbor call to tell you that there are flames shooting out of the top of your chimney? Have you ever heard what sounds like a blast furnace or jet engine emitting from your chimney? If you have, those are usually telltale signs of a chimney fire.

Chimney fires are caused when creosote deposits inside your chimney ignite. Creosote is the dark brown or black flammable tar deposited by wood smoke as it rises inside your chimney or flue. Creosote is usually heaviest in areas where the smoke has to slow down (bends, transitions, and within the last 10 feet of the chimney). It’s highly flammable and capable of burning at temperatures up to 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit. Temperatures this high are capable of damaging or even causing your chimney to catastrophically fail.

Creosote is caused by several inefficient burning practices. Burning unseasoned wood, trash, glossy paper, and cardboard all increase creosote buildup. Restricting the air flow by using a damper may help keep more heat in the room by not allowing it to be pulled up the chimney, but it also slows the smoke down depositing more creosote as it rises. Exterior chimneys are cooled more rapidly by the outside air, causing condensation and creosote deposits to more readily form.

Fortunately, there are several “best practices” that you can follow to help reduce the amount of creosote deposited in your chimney. Burning only dry well seasoned wood will produce less dense smoke. Keeping your fires smaller and hotter will help “consume” the fuel more completely. Filling your firebox full of wood and restricting the air flow in an effort to hold the fire for as long as possible is a common, but potentially problematic practice. You should have your chimney cleaned and inspected by a on a regular basis (at minimum twice during the burning season) by someone who is qualified to do so. Depending on their findings, you may need to adjust your standard burning practices.

Don’t overlook the importance of having working smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors on all levels of your home and in each sleeping area. CO is lighter than air and its effects are accumulative over time. It bonds 210 times more tightly to our blood hemoglobin and reduces the ability of our blood to transport the required amount of oxygen to our body’s tissues. This leads to cell death and CO poisoning. The symptoms of CO poisoning include tiredness, dizziness, and nausea. If you have a combustible fueled appliance in your home and are experiencing any of these symptoms, seek fresh air as soon as possible and call 9-1-1. Using wood to heat your home is great, as long as you know the risks and take the proper steps to mitigate them. Keep in mind that OCFD6 tends to see most of our chimney fire responses at the beginning and the end of the home heating season. Be safe and enjoy the fall colors while they last.
 


 




 

 

 

New District Station
Information about the new District 6 station.

 

          Burn Ban
Okanogan County Burn Ban
         NOT in effect
      for Fire District #6

 

 

 

Required Training
Mark your calendar

Fire on hillside